04 Oct NDOT I-80 WEST OF RENO: October 3, 2018 Update
NDOT announces extended i-80 ramp closure west of Reno as part of continuing interstate improvements.
CARSON CITY, Nev. – An Interstate 80 Verdi-area ramp will be closed through October as part of a continuing Nevada Department of Transportation project to repave and enhance the interstate.
Beginning the evening of Sunday, Oct. 7, the Third Street on-ramp to westbound I-80 in Verdi will be closed 24-7 for approximately three weeks as the ramp is widened and a concrete roadway drainage box installed. At the southern end of Third Street, the on-ramp carries motorists entering westbound I-80 from the Gold Ranch Casino area. Access to the casino from both directions of interstate will remain open. A marked detour of approximately six miles will be available by traveling eastbound I-80 to turn at exit 4 Garson Road. Intermittent overnight closures of other Verdi-area ramps will also continue.
The closures are part of a continuing NDOT project to resurface both directions of I-80 between Keystone Avenue in Reno and the Nevada-California border. Approximately four inches of the roadway surface is being removed and repaved on more than 12 miles of interstate. A wrong way driver detection system will be installed and merge lanes lengthened on certain exits and other enhancements made.
As part of the project, additional overnight lane and ramp closures will take place on Interstate 80 west of Reno.
Through late 2019, drivers will see the following road work on both directions of I-80 from Keystone Avenue west to the state line:
- Overnight single lane closures will take place weekdays 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., with periodic evening and overnight lane and ramp closures on weekends
- Construction will take place spring-fall 2018 and spring-fall 2019, with a winter construction shutdown
- Drivers should anticipate single lane closures in both direction of interstate during both construction seasons for paving, drainage and other road improvements
- One lane of interstate will remain open in each direction during construction
- Overnight interstate ramp closures will also take place
- Travel delays of no more than 30 minutes are to be expected through the work zone
Project information is available at I80RenoWest.com or by calling (775) 870-8080. Community members can text I80RenoWest to 797979 or log onto I80RenoWest.com to sign up for the project text and e-mail alerts on project-related lane and ramp closures. The alerts are free, excluding usage charges imposed by providers.