08 Aug NDOT I-80 WEST OF RENO: August 8, 2018 Traffic Control Update
Fires are devastating our California neighbors and our thoughts are with those communities. It is everyone’s responsibility to be fire safe. Recently one of our own project team members encountered a brush fire on the northside of I-80 eastbound between Robb Dr. and McCarran Blvd. Blake Schmitt, Q&D Project Engineer and University of Nevada Reno engineering student was driving the job site when he spotted flames on a hillside just below an apartment complex. “My first reaction was to call for help and stop the fire from spreading up the hill,” said Schmitt. He called 911 and then the project water truck operators. Cody Brown with Q&D and Blake Crosby with Sierra Nevada Construction arrived within minutes. The three worked together to extinguish the fire before any major damage could be done.
Both Q&D and SNC construction employees receive field safety training. If you see a roadside fire, call 911 and allow emergency responders to proceed with their operations.
For more information on fire safety watch: Stay Safe and Connected Nevada: Be Fire Safe & Fire Aware, Summer 2018
Week of August 13, 2018
- Mainline paving continues
- Night time paving on I-80 westbound from Keystone Ave. to 4th At least one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times. Drivers can expect to see Friday evening paving operations.
- Intermittent night time ramp closures on I-80 westbound between Keystone Ave. and East Verdi from 9 pm to 5 am. No two consecutive ramps will be closed at the same time.
- 4th on-ramp to I-80 westbound will be closed the week of August 13. Please use Mogul.
- I-80 eastbound and westbound overnight lane closures weekdays 7 pm to 7 am.
- Daytime shoulder closures on I-80 westbound from Keystone Ave. to Mogul.